Today is the 5th day of the lunar calendar and the Birthday of the God of Wealth or Fortune.
Here are simple things you can do to celebrate:
· Early in the morning, open the windows and doors and explode firecrackers (or beat drums and gongs!)
· Eat dumplings and spring rolls (symbolizing gold ingots) on this morning
· Offer incense, foods and fruits (prepared in sets of five to represent the wealth gods coming from the five directions) to the God of Wealth and ask for blessings through prayer.
· If you have a wealth vase, orient it so the Wealth God faces the right direction (NE)
It’s also a day where business owners honor the Gods of Wealth by re-opening their store at an auspicious hour after taking time off for the Chinese New Year festivities.
· Set a table of fruit, flower, candy, tea, meat and candles on table in front of the company’s main entrance
· Hang a piece of red cloth on the signboards as a symbol of re-opening businesses and set off fire-crackers
· Invite lion dancers to celebrate the re-opening
· Give the first customer in your store a red envelope with money
· The mascot of the God of Wealth will appear and enter the store and give him a red envelope with money inside
If you’re in the Portland Metro area, please come celebrate the traditional customs and rituals for welcoming the God of Wealth into your own life and business with a fun participatory ritual and wee take-home goodies!
Thursday, February 18th
1:00pm at the Lan Su
Free with garden admission
RSVP required by emailing me at [email protected]